A letter for teachers. You are miracles.

Teachers are amazing gifts from God.

Before a teenager reads this blog and rolls her eyes and says "Yeah right, you haven't met .........." I get it. 

But let me explain something. I thought I was substitute teaching because, I was getting myself out of the house a little more, to meet new people, and put a little side money in our pockets. Sure, it's those things. But let me tell you what I didn't expect it to be.

A learning experience with a whole new level of appreciation.

I already respected our teachers. They put up with all 4 of our kids that have gone through the public schools with them, but now, a whole new level of respect.

Today, I subbed in ISD. 
And a teacher of one of the girls I had, came in. She handed the young girl a paper, and it had some questions on it. Clearly it was an assignment that the girl was going to be missing since she isn't in her normal classroom. 
The teacher who was making small talk with her student, telling her since she wont' be in class for awhile, here was some work to get her through. I looked at the calendar on the desk to discover this young girl would be in there the following week as well. 

The teacher was very nice in her wording and everything about this interaction proved that she cared for this girl.

That teacher left the room, and the door locked behind her.
That young girl says, "I wish she wouldn't give me so much work." 
I smirked and went back to my book I was reading. (they aren't supposed to be talking in ISD).

She proceeded to go on and on about the teachers, and her workload. I looked up to tell her she needed to get to her work, but I couldn't stop there.
I told her, be thankful that teacher cares enough to bring you that work, instead of you falling further behind by being in here.

I asked why they were in ISD. No, I won't share why, it's really not important, other than being a "normal" teenager. (Normal is non existent with teens..)

She nodded her head, and went to looking through her book.

So, as I sat there in this quiet room with no cell service, observing these two ladies today, I thought to myself, I remember this.

I was in ISD once- maybe twice. Look, I turned out alright. They'll be fine too.
But, reflecting on the other students I see and hear all day, I realize it's really hard to be a kid in this day in age. I think more so than when I was young. 
We didn't have cell phones. We didn't have social media. And let me tell you, THANK THE GOOD LORD we didn't'!

These kids, literally have the world at their finger tips.
I watched an entire class cheat one of my sub days! By the use of their cell phones!
You can 'make' them put them up, and not have them out. But then they'll sneak around. And it's quite useful to be able to search something when the teacher tells them they can, and to use the app for a scientific calculator. It's helpful, and it's hurtful. All at the same time. And no, I can't seem to find a happy medium.

So, on to the moral of my post, teachers. you are amazing!
You put up with all of this. Everything I see when I'm subbing, you tolerate it everyday. The things you listen to, the excuses you hear, the eye rolling from kids that you didn't give birth to (or watch come into the world for you male teachers).

Teachers, who are there before the students, and there after the students leave.
Teachers, who bring papers home with them to grade because there isn't enough time to teach, grade and pass the students during the school hours of fighting with 'put the phone up', 'stop talking'.
Teachers, who are trying to make some sort of single imprint on their students, and help make them productive adults, who can contribute to society one day.

The last thing I told this young girl today after her eye roll about her teacher, was: "Darlin', she doesn't do it for the money. She does it because she wants to help make a difference in your life."

The bell rang and I might not ever see that young girl again. And she probably didn't take to heart what I said now, but one day, she will. Maybe when it's her daughter. Or when she has the calling to teach. But one day. She will.

God bless you teachers, every single one of you!

You are anything, but just a teacher.



Xo,

Misty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can we talk about friends?

Plant base

sur·ren·der (it's a verb)